Sunday 15 January 2017

Bringing back an old tradition and bringing home a baby!

When I was a kid, when ever our family went to Whangamata to our beach house, Dad would buy a bag of Black Ball lollies when he filled up with gas at the gas station.  He used to call them Nigger Nuts, yeah I know, not very PC but back then it was a harmless name and we thought Dad was hilarious!!  We gladly crunched and or sucked on these lollies for our journey to the beach.

Well bugger me, when me and TOF were filling up on Diesel last weekend (Friday) before we made our way to Whangamata, I spotted a bag of Black Balls.  So in honor of my Dad we have decided to bring back the tradition.  Just as good as I remembered them and enough left for my sister and the BIL (brother in law) to have some too.



TOF and the BIL had organised to go out on an afternoon/evening fish on the Te Ra, a boat that has been at Whangamata for  as long as I can remember.

TOF asked the Captain of said boat what they would be targeting, to which I jumped in and said FISH!!  

Let's just say I left not long after that.

The tree covered land you can see in the photos is what we call the Peninsular, and I have not been for a drive along that since I was a kid.  So I decided that seen as I had TOFs 4WD truck it was time to go along the road again and feast on the views that I remembered as being spectacular.









The day was warm but overcast, and still the beach at the wharf was being used by many.

Big kids did bombs off the wharf into the cool ocean, while little ones made sandcastles and played on the shore.

From there I made my way to catch up with my friend Leonie and her family.  They were all heading back to their homes the following day so this was another reason for me to get over to the beach.

Helen met me there, and after a good catch up  we went back to hers. 










We then took the slow drive along the Forestry Road on the top of the Peninsular to check out those views I remembered from my childhood.  I was so not disappointed!!!


When I was a kid it was like this!

Oh wow, it has changed!  Well the gorgeous views are still the same but it just shows now how built up my dear beach place has become.  Hey but that is progress and a sign of the times, and it is awesome that so many people get to experience what I have been able to enjoy for 50 years now.

We picked up the fishermen around 9pm, had a leisurely dinner and then we all decided to call it a night.  Apparently Clutch had gone to bed early in our room, and he stay with us on the end of the bed all night.

Saturday morning Helen and I went to visit the Gypsy Extravaganza that was in town.  Everyone else in Whangamata had decided to join us!

We wandered around twice so we could take in everything.  I mean, who would want to miss a crocheted covered ladder leading into a house truck?

Most truckers had a small dog, all well behaved and cruising like their owners. So nice to see some genuine hand made things too, like Flax animals that are native to NZ in the bottom right photo.

This little truck was perfect and I could so see me tripping around in that.  Not sure where all our animals would fit!

After the Extravaganza we had a quick visit to my nephews home. My neph is a kind sole who rescued the dog in the above right photo and has encourage her to become the most beautiful girl ever.  Just shows what a whole lot of love and a happy home can do.  Merlin the cat is a cruiser.  Shilo below and Bear above, are two lovely dogs and a credit to my neph!!


A perfect place to park your bike,
in the shade of a gorgeous Pohutukawa Tree.

I bought a very cool dress from the Gypsies and the Labradorite necklace on the left. We stopped in Waihi on our way home so I could go to Gevadi a seasonal shop that pops up at this time of the year.  I came out of there with a Clear Quartz and an Amethyst necklace.  I do like crystals.

Looks like a huge slip has happened in the Gold Mine at Waihi, I do wonder if it was due to the Earthquake last year.  One day this will be a huge man made lake, which I think will look way better than a mine.

On Monday TOF returned to work, I had one more week left.  So I ventured out to the charity shops that were finally open again.  The dress I am wearing is Italian and I found it in a little recycling shop in Frankton that I like. I actually wore it out of the shop to a lunch date with my friend Rose.
 
Stuff I found: silver sugar tongs that I plan to turn into a bangle, Tutti Fruitti clip on earings, Mini Haha and Hiawhatha (more than like spelt wrong) Orange jacket, multi short skirt with fishtail, gorgeous cobalt blue embroidered in gold sleeveless top.  I also found  some shorts and long pants but they are so hard to photograph.

 This arrived in the post,
I got it for TOF!!
He loves it too.

Do you LOVE my wooden Mexican head?  I got that at  a shop that I sell stuff in, and I knew it should go on my wall of THINGS.

I visited Dawn!  The amazeballs Face Totem was a commission piece which I am sure the owner will be more than happy with.
 
She gave me a new mug as the legs on my old one got knocked off by TOF who felt terrible about it to.  Then my talented mate Louise visited yesterday and she gave me these crocheted Toadies!  The tops are made from sari silk and they are stuffed with natural fleece.  I am pretty lucky to have such talented friends and ones that are so giving.  Love you two gals very much!!!


Even tho there are numerous bowls with clean drinking water in them on offer, Big thought sitting in the laundry tub and drinking from the tap was much more fun.


On a sunny day I moved the Bird Bath to a much sunnier spot in the garden.  Now I await the birds, but best I get Big out from under it.

My bosses gave me some Cash in an envelope on the last day of work, call it a bonus if you like!!  I bought myself a nice Sterling Silver Bangle the one next to the Watch that I bought too with the money.  Finally a watch that I can see without my glasses on!!!  I also treated myself to a Hibiscus shrub.  The rest was used on petrol and lunches when we were out day tripping the other week. At least I can show them some of the things that they financed with their generosity.

I put coloured solar lights on one of my garden arches,
they look fab!!

Speaking of FAB,
the garden was looking that way the other night!


I have been sharing my garden and swing seat with the Heir and his baby dog.  Our dogs love him and Sheba loves Stella his baby, but Oscars is taking time to warm to the new dog that visits.
The Spare has been sending me photos regularly and this so far has to be my all time favourite.  They are in London at the moment, quite a change in temperature from the Desert life for sure.  He gets home next week.

 ***Hi!***

The other day I went over to Kihikihi to visit the very lovely and talented Julie. If you follow her blog you will know all about her gorgeous little shop, Thread Bear Cottage, you will know her beautiful Garden, and you will know about her love of her cats.

Well in her garden was 4 adorable little balls of fluff and their mother.  A very young mum at that.  All strays and very hungry, so of course dear Julie was feeding them and looking after them all, finding the kittens home and worrying about the young mum.

What a wonderful garden for a stray family to stop off at, don't you agree.  I love how Julie plants up things like much loved things from my childhood.


Old  suitcases and bicycles with baskets of flowers,
and one little kitten that was
slowly but surly stealing my heart.

Outside in the garden is beautiful but inside Julies home it is simply amazing, the talents are endless with this kind hearted lady. So not only did she bake me the most delicious  Raspberry and White Chocolate muffins to munch on while sipping tea and chatting, she had kittens to tempt me.


Needless to say the one that kept catching my eye came home with me.  With his extra toes, and large eyes, he melted my heart and has joined us in our home.

So meet ToeBee, my dear little Polydactyl baby.  After visiting my vet and getting him worm and flea treated, I have been told he is about 7 weeks old.

Toes for short for obvious reasons!!


The best place to sleep is anywhere on Mum!!

And Big is the best father figure a wee lad could hope for!!


ToeBee is a keeper, not a foster baby.  So my Fostering days might be over for a while, or forever, time will tell.  But at the moment I am busy with my new baby boy and loving every minute of him.  He nudges my head and purrs like mad. He is not afraid of the dogs, more they are afraid of him!!  TOF happily has ToeBee climb all over him, yes he is a KEEPER!!!

Because I am Short.


 

 

11 comments:

Nancy J said...

Happiness in every word, but at the end, the most beautiful gorgeous wee fellow, no wonder he is a keeper. Yes, beaches change, new houses go up, roads divide what was once lovely green paddocks, guess we have to accept it all. But then there is Toes, and he will give you so much fun and love. and TOF, guess he will give his share too. Happy New Year, yes, I know it's a bit late, but times down here have been busy.

Fiona said...

Toes is a gorgeous fluff ball, isn't that a lovely snap of him and Big together on the path? Hope the Spare has his brolly, after snow this week, it's now pissing down.

Goody said...

Oh, so much joy to soak in!
Beautiful beaches, shopping, family, friends, and kittens! I mean, THAT's how to do a holiday!

I need that shirt you bought TOF. It would be great for going to the Gym. Or the dentist!

Julie said...

Another GREAT post Sue. Love that t-shirt for TOF - could think of a few I could give that to. But Oh look at little Toes ... how priceless. He certainly fell on his feet when he came to live at your house did he not ???!!! Thank You SO much for taking him on Sue ... apparently all the kittens are doing well & settled into their new homes. Love the pic of him with Big - just priceless. I told you this before I know, but Toes was my pic of them all too x x x x

Polyester Princess said...

What a lovely trip you had, Sue, and that view from the Peninsular is spectacular even though it has changed since your childhood. Love the little truck at the Gypsy Extravaganza, too. You did well at the charity shops. I especially love the earrings. Julie's garden is so up my street. And finally: Toes! Isn't he the cutest ever! xxx

Beth Waltz said...

Enchanted by the silhouette shots of otherworldly trees and exotic crystals as I was, I continued reading this blog with a growing sense of "Does this woman know how to spend a bonus and a holiday *wow*!" And then you introduced Toes. Well done, Sue, so very well done indeed!

Poppy Q said...

What a great catch up. Glad you are enjoying your holiday.

Love your new baby. A great addition to your family.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

I found your lovely blog through Julie and your new sweet Toebee, he is so cute. Loved seeing all your photos, especially as we're in our winter now xx

Deb said...

Hi Sue - just over from Julie's blog, too. I knew there would be some fantastic photos here and I was not disappointed. What a darling new family member. I would get NOTHING done with him around; just be cuddling and playing. Love his name...clever. :)We are in the deep mid-winter here in Ontario, Canada. Lovely to see your summer. Sending a hug to your new baby and BIG for being such a dapper dad. xo Deb

Jazzy Jack said...

So kittens have your heart. Not surprisingly! Toe-bee is such a great poser!
Your lovely beach peninsula reminded me so much of our nz times.
I love your solar light shots...big winds?!
Xo Jazzy Jack

Baa. xxx said...

Just over from Julies Blog to see more photo's of that cutie Toebee!. He certainly has landed on his feet - he looks gorgeous. Mr Big will be such a cool Dad! . Do it this way son....... Love the photo's of our beautiful NZ too.